Tuesday 5 July 2016

The motor pool

The Afghan Border Police have now got themselves some transport and support rolled into one!  After a small (minuscule) amount of research, I found that the ABP have been given M1114 Humvees (aka HMMWV or High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicles), which I first discovered in the ancient days of the 1980s and my attempts to get friends to play Twilight:2000. I looked around the interwebs to find a suitable model, and chose this lovely example from Company B (who also provided the elephant that can be seen in my previous post).  Strictly speaking, the ABP have been issued M1151 armoured hummers, but I doubt anyone I game with will know the difference. I sure as hell don't!

I'm very happy with this hummer.  I initially painted it in a plain sand colour, which pretty much matched the standard US issue paint job as seen here.  And then I did more research and found out to my dismay that the ABP chose to paint their vehicles in their own chocolate chip camo pattern like this  (photos lifted from http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=180539):



And so here is the result!  The 'chocolate chips' are too big, and I still haven't figured out a good way to paint windows but overall I'm pleased with the result.








I also tried out some weathering on my red Bedford jingle truck and added a bit of decoration to my blue Opel Blitz. You wouldn't find either truck on the road in modern Afghanistan, but WWII trucks are readily available in 1/56 while more modern trucks are not, so I'm content with the compromise.



One more 40' shipping container to help fill out the village.



And a few shots of the current motor pool.  The Range Rover in the front is another Cars model, barely modified.  All I did was put some black paint over the eyes on the windscreen and a smear of putty over the mouth on the front bumper.









No comments:

Post a Comment